6.02.2012

Strawberry Jam

Last night, I decided to finally buckle down and make some homemade strawberry jam. It wasn't as difficult as I thought and it definitely didn't take as long as I thought. I ended not using all the strawberries for the jam, we are working on getting some rhubarb to make strawberry-rhubarb jam and pie. Can you say YUM....!!!! :)

I ended up making four completely full, pint size jars and one 3/4 the way full that we are currently using now. It tastes amazing and I am glad it was a success and a go ahead to make again.

I don't know much about canning or making jam, so all this was a first. I didn't have any canning equipment, so I improvised with what we had around the house. I had to first sterilize my jars and lids, which was no big deal. Then I mashed up my strawberries and added the sugar, lemon juice and pectin. It smelt so good. I learned that if you add just a little bit of butter to the mixture, you won't get a lot of foam to scrape off when it's done. It works, (not that I know the difference), but I barely had any foam to scrape off. Then I scooped the jam into the jars and had to put them back in the boiling pot. Getting them out was the hard part. Ryan and his friend had to double team to get the four jars out, with two tongs and ladle.  I couldn't do that part, I kept dropping the jars back into the water. :)Thanks guys!!!
Overall, this was a good experience for me and I am excited to make this a part of my family's life. I feel so "pioneery." (yes I think I just made that word up).

Recipe from here

2 comments:

  1. If you do freezer jam, you won't even need the canning equipment, or worry about foam. That's the only way I do jam. The other way (your way) intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give that way a try next time, thanks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...