5.01.2012

Up-Cycled Dresser: Putty & Sanding

It's been raining a lot here in Virginia and I haven't been able to work much on the dresser. But on the very few days it doesn't rain, I go outside and get as much done as I can with Zoie running around and wanting to help.

Day 2: I puttied the indention's in the dresser and the holes where the handles used to be on the drawers. That wasn't too bad, just a bit messy. :)



Such a good helper. She helped me unscrew
the handles from the drawers. She got so excited!

Day 3-4: Sanding....Sanding....Sanding.... and some more Sanding!!! We don't have an electric sander, so I am sanding everything by hand, {until, I find someone who is willing to let me borrow theirs}. I have discovered I don't like hand sanding. I don't mind if the project is small, but this project is HUGE and it is just taking forever to sand it down. I really don't mind so much, I just mind the sore hands and shoulders. I try to sand while Zoie is taking her 3 hour nap. Yes, she takes a 3 hour nap every day. Be jealous!! So sanding the dresser is kind of my time to myself and it's very relaxing. I am just so anxious to get this dresser primed and painted, I want to be DONE sanding!!!! Here is what I've gotten done on the sanding part.

These are the two finished sanding drawers {4 left}

This gives you an idea of what I started out with before sanding

The before and after look

Started the top of the dresser, but have a ways to go

I am really excited I am making progress with this project. It is a slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I did tell Ryan that this dresser better come out perfect with all the effort I am putting into it. I'm sure it will. I have two months to finish this. My goal is to have it completely sanded {and maybe primed} by the end of the week and completely finished by the end of this month. I want to get the baby clothes out and washed and put away, just in case she decides to come early.

There you all go -- the progress on the girls dresser.

Here is the list of things that I need to do to make this dresser beautified!!!
  • wipe down
  • clean out
  • putty the indention's and handle holes
  • prime the wood (dresser itself and drawers)
  • get new knobs for the drawers
  • reattach 3 drawers
  • drill new holes for knobs
  • get wood to fill the bottoms of the drawers
  • fix back of dresser
  • sand it down
  • secure the foots of the dresser
  • paint
  • find a cute, girly stencil
  • blow up the stencil
  • find a projector
  • trace stencil onto dresser
  • paint stencil
  • spray with poly to seal the paint
  • place in girls room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...