4.27.2012

Binky Free

When Zoie was born, Binky's were my best friend, my life saver, so to speak. A week after she was born, we went grocery shopping at Walmart and she just started to cry. She was fed, had a clean diaper, didn't want to be held or cuddle or anything. So we went to the baby section, opened up a pack of Binky's stuck one in her mouth and the response was silence. AMAZING!!!! I didn't have to have my freak out mom moments, because I didn't know what to do to calm my crying baby anymore. Ever since then, we all have loved them.



We decided that once she started to ask for her Binky's it would be time to get rid of them and with a new baby coming in a couple months. We figured if she could do that then she understood why she was using it and needed to learn on her own how to fall asleep and comfort herself without one.

We prolonged this process for long time. It was so nice for me to give her Binky to her, stick her in bed and she goes right to sleep. I could relax, get things done, and when she woke up she was as happy as can be. It was a good system. I didn't want to mess with it, especially out in public. Ryan and I decided to start at the beginning of this month. I was so nervous. I heard a mom saying she just finished weaning her son of his Binky's and it took them 3 weeks. THREE WEEKS!!! I didn't know if I could handle three weeks.

All in all it took Zoie a day in a half to be Binky free. It was great. The first day was rough, she only had a 30 minute nap, compared to her 2-3 hour nap. The next day she was back into her routine. Here is what I did. I found all of her Binky's and hid them. I took one of them and clipped the end off a bit. Every time she would ask for her Binky I would give that one to her. She didn't like it all and kept saying "oh no! oh no! oh no!" and ended up throwing it on the ground. She quickly understood what was going on and decided to make due without. Mission Accomplished!!! She continues to sleep her 2-3 hour nap everyday and wakes up as happy as can be. I love my little girlie.

We have been Binky free for 2 1/2 weeks.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...