4.18.2012

Up-cycled Dresser: Cleaning

The story. We need more clothing space in the girls room, especially with little girl # 2 coming soon. Ryan and I have been talking about getting a cheap bookshelf from the store and putting baskets on the shelves to make a dresser for the girls room. A good idea, right?!  Well, the beginning of this month, a friend of mine posted on facebook, she saw a dresser and a BIG mirror (my next project, keep your eye out for that post) in someones garbage that could be up-cycled. When I saw that post, I immediately jumped in the car and drove over to see if I liked it and if it would serve it's purpose. Guess What!!! It did, I was so excited to have found a dresser.

Now remember I am all alone. I put the broken pieces in the backseat of the car and started to slowly move the dresser over to the trunk, by myself. I had no idea how I, a six month pregnant women, was going to lift this heavy dresser up into the trunk of my car. I was so nervous. I didn't want to leave and come back and it be gone.

Lo and behold, I turned around and guess who comes walking by? The LDS Missionaries!! :) I was so grateful, I yelled "Hey Missionaries, can I ask a favor of you." They were more than willing to come help me out. The Lord really does know when you need help. It was amazing. So that's the little story of how I came across this nasty, old, broken dresser.


Day 1 -- started with me wiping down everything and cleaning it all out. It was so gross. I ended up taking the drawers out and the bottoms that the drawers rested on. It took a while and I probably spent more time cleaning it than I should have, but I didn't want any grossness left in that dresser for my girls.



Here is the list of things that I need to do to make this dresser beautified!!!
  • wipe down
  • clean out
  • putty the indention's and handle holes
  • prime the wood (dresser itself and drawers)
  • reattach 3 drawers
  • drill new holes for knobs
  • get wood to fill the bottoms of the drawers
  • fix back of dresser
  • sand it down
  • secure the foots of the dresser
  • paint
  • find a cute, girly stencil
  • blow up the stencil
  • find a projector
  • trace stencil onto dresser
  • paint stencil
  • spray with poly to seal the paint
  • place in girls room

2 comments:

  1. I hope this turns out super cute. I love when people take trash and make it treasure, especially dressers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project! You are so ambitious for being pregnant! My accomplishments when that far along is getting off the couch! haha Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...