7.25.2012

"Life Saver"

Having a newborn in the home is GREAT!!!! I love newborns, the smells, the tiny clothes, the little noises they make, and their crying,

BUT, it can be hard and frustrating...

loss of sleep.

being physically drained.

unable to focus 100%.

etc.

Miss Charlotte is at the stage in her life where she likes to fuss. I was reminded of this stage by my Relief Society President, when she visited and I told her how life has been going. She reminded me that at two weeks the fussiness in babies begin (which it did, once all our family left). Then it peeks at six weeks and starts to go back to normal after that. This comforted me so much and made feel like it's not me that is doing something wrong.

I had a "life-changing, life-saving" motherhood experience today and just have to share it with everyone. I'm on cloud nine right now with all of this and am just overwhelmed with happiness and joy.

I told one of my good friends about Charlotte's fussy stage and asked to borrow one of her books that I read with Zoie, and that I loved and would recommend for any mom of a newborn to read, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. Then she told me that she heard that moms who have read this book also loved "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp. I looked into it. I asked Ryan if they had it at the library, and they did. He checked out the DVD and requested the book for me.

I love these two books and plan on rereading them with each child we have. They are amazing and I've found all the information to be true and work with my children. I recommend these two books!!
The Happiest Baby on the BlockHealthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child


This afternoon, I watched the DVD while Zoie napped and tried all the techniques he mentioned on Charlotte. It was a MIRACLE!!! Charlotte stopped fussing within a matter of seconds. I couldn't believe it. I told Ryan he has to watch the video and learn everything. It was the happiest moment of my life (well, one of the happiest).

sleeping with eyes half open like grandma erinn
and aunt blythe

The gist of the book is to help moms calm their crying baby and help their baby sleep longer. He uses five techniques. He calls them the five "S's".

1. Swaddling (Down, up, down, up technique aka DUDU)
2. Side or stomach (while holding baby in arms)
3. Shushing
4. Swinging or jiggling
5. Sucking

I HIGHLY recommend this book and DVD. It has been a "life saver" for me. I am able to get more things done around the house and hopefully get a couple extra hours of sleep at night.

Read the book, watch the DVD, try the techniques out and tell me how they worked for you. I'll post back in a week and let you know how Charlotte is doing and how our life has been since using these tips.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I am reading Healthy sleep habits, but haven't read the other, but now i'm going to have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE the 5 S's! I had to use them on a colicky Derek for months! I haven't read the sleep habits book, though, and I think I will when there's another baby in our family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...