7.31.2011

Staying STRONG in the STORMS of Life

Fifteen years ago my family experienced a trial that no one wants to have. The trial we experienced  was losing a member of our family. My little brother Benjamin Scott Thompson was born on 31 of July 1995. He was the fifth child to be born and he brought so much joy and love to our family. He was the happiest, friendliest baby I have ever known, smiling to everyone and anyone. Ben was the peacemaker in the home. A year after his birth, he finished his mission in this mortal life and was called back home to serve with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ on 13 of September 1996.


This trial was very difficult for my family. No one wants to lose a son or daughter, brother or sister. I know for me at least, it took me a while to accept what happened and "officially" move on with my life. Satan was working really hard on me and testing my testimony. Satan wanted me to blame the trial all on me in hopes it would discourage me to the point of losing my faith and myself. As tempted as I was, I did not give in to the adversary. I owe it all to the help and support of my family and friends. I knew that I could only get through this trial and accept what happened if I sought after the Lord for love, comfort, assurance, hope, and peace. I did this through daily scripture study and prayer. During a scripture study session, many years ago, I came across this scripture:

"AND NOW, O MY [DAUGHTER HILLARY], BEHOLD, THOU ART IN THY YOUTH, AND THEREFORE, I BESEECH OF THEE THAT THOU WILT HEAR MY WORDS AND LEARN OF ME; FOR I DO KNOW THAT WHOSOEVER SHALL PUT THEIR TRUST IN GOD SHALL BE SUPPORTED IN THEIR TRIALS, AND THEIR TROUBLES, AND THEIR AFFLICTIONS, AND SHALL BE LIFTED UP AT THE LAST DAY" (Alma 36:6).

I knew the Lord was with me and supporting me. I knew it was all going to be okay as long as I trusted in the Lord and in my testimony. This trial has become one of the biggest blessing in my life and I am forever very grateful for the lessons I learned from it.

I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is the true gospel on this earth today. He is real. He is ready with a strecthed out arm to help and lift our burdens if we would only reach out and take His hand with our complete trust and faith in Him. Unfortuantely, trials will not cease to exist, they will continue to happen and make us better indivduals of the gospel. Our trials will hopefully give us a STRONG desire to choose the right so we can be worthy to be called home to our Father in Heaven and His son Jesus Christ.

HAPPY 16TH BIRTHDAY BENJAMIN!! I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That was amazing Hill. Yeah i wrote in my journal saying happy birthday ben. its amazing he is 16 and i havent seen him once but dont worry i will see him in heaven someday.
    TIL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...