3.19.2012

Staying STRONG in the STORMS of Life

Lately, I've been reading this book, "Receiving Answers To Our Prayers." It is a wonderful book, filled with many amazing examples and advice on prayer. I've been struggling with prayer lately and I don't know why. This book has helped and has given me a better idea of how to rearrange my prayers to better suit my life and my family's.

One of the chapters in the book discusses different principles that can add power to your prayers. As I read it, I thought of what principles I need to work on, so I can have an added measure of power in my prayers. I decided to work on the principle "Cast out Doubt and Fear." Too many times, I feel that when I pray and don't feel at peace or something along those lines, I feel like maybe my prayer won't be answered, or I can't wait forever for an answer or I second guess myself for even asking such a thing from the Lord.

"I'm always impressed as I think of the negative power of doubt and fear on the power of faith. Joseph Smith said, in essence, 'Doubt and fear cannot reside in the mind of man at the same time as faith. One or the other will leave.' (See N. B. Lundwall, comp., Lectures on Faith [Salt Lake City, n.d.], lecture 4, paragraph 13.)

"One of the greatest difficulties of trying to accomplish something through faith and prayer is to really believe it will happen. Doubt and fear are so powerful that they can sometimes dissuade you from starting the endeavor in the first place or when you get started they can motivate you to quit.

"We all know the story of Peter walking on the water. He saw Jesus approaching them on the surface of the sea, and, in a great act of faith, said, 'Bid me come unto thee.' (Matthew 14:28.) Jesus bade him to come, and Peter stepped out of the boat. You can imagine his feelings as he put all his weight on his foot and started to step into the Sea of Galilee. Then all of a sudden he was walking, . . . . Then it appears the devil moved into the picture. The wind stirred up, and waves lifted higher, and Peter began to doubt; he was filled with fear; and down he went. . .

"Then Jesus reached out and saved him, saying, 'O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?' (Matthew 14:31.) Jesus could also have added, 'Peter, you were tied to my power, as long as you were believing and walking and  having faith. But the moment you let doubt in, see what happens?'

"What a great lesson! And how essential! I'd have to say. . . the greatest challenge faced is to really believe with all our hearts, to believe beforehand, to not doubt or fear, and to not give up. If you can do that and have unshakable faith, you'll receive the blessings you seek-- assuming, what you seek is in harmony with the will of the Lord." I'd like to add personally, that if you follow this principle you will be able to stay STRONG in the STORMS of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...