8.21.2013

Pear Rhubarb Sauce

Do your kids love applesauce? Pearsauce? Well, then they are sure to love this new Pear Rhubarb Sauce, my almost three year old and I came up with. 

Zoie and I experimented with some food today. A year ago, I canned a bunch of pears. My girls love to eat pears, but for some reason they wouldn't eat the canned pears, just fresh. Weird! 

To use up the canned pears, I pull out 2 quart size jars and dump them on the stove and make pear sauce. Now, my girls love pear sauce. Today, I remembered we had some extra rhubarb in the fridge, that needed to be used up and I thought I would try my hand at creating something new and different. 


So Zoie and I went to work. We cut up the rhubarb stuck it in the pot and let it boil with the pears until they were both soft enough to mash up. Once mashed up we added cinnamon and sugar, then put it back in the jar, let it cool, and stuck it in the fridge. 



It is delicious and the girls go to town. 

Pear Rhubarb Sauce

* 2 quarts canned pears ( however many fresh pears can fill up two quarts)
* 4-7 sticks of rhubarb
* 1 cup of sugar (can add more or less depending on your taste, I like mine to taste sweet)
* 1/2-1 tbsp of cinnamon

1. empty jars into a large pot. If using fresh pears, peal, core, and cut and place in pot and then put some water in to just barely cover all the pears. 
2. Let the pears boil for a while about 10 minutes, then once they are just about ready to be mashed, put your rhubarb in and let it sit for another 5-8 minutes to soften up. (timing varies, depending on the ripeness of your pears and rhubarb)
3. Once soft enough to mash, use a ladle with wholes in it to transfer pears and rhubarb to a large bowl and begin mashing.
4. Once you've reached your preferred mashed consistency add in cinnamon and sugar to your taste. 
5. You can put the sauce back in the jar or a container, let cool and then put in fridge. 

** You can also can this recipe, just by adding the sterilizing of jars and lids and then making the sauce, pouring it in the jar, placing the lids back on and sealing it in boiling water for 15-20 minutes. After the time, take out place on a towel and let cool overnight.
** Make sure your lids are sealed by either hearing a popping sound, or pressing your finger on the lid to make sure it doesn't move. If it moves just stick in the fridge and use.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was fun to create something new Zoie and have a wonderful learning experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...